Trainees Preparing for a Faculty Position
Developed by the Career and Professional Development Team at the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, University of Michigan Medical School
Please note that not all Faculty Corner events are listed here due to permissions or recording technical glitches. We thank all faculty and trainees who participated in this series.
Write to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or feedback. Thank you!
Faculty Corner is a series of interviews with current UM faculty or alumni on landing and succeeding in tenure track positions and everything in between around faculty work and life.
Current trainees moderate these discussions, thus building their own communication and leadership skills.
Please click on the title link next to each name to access published YouTube videos.
1. Dr. Pat Schloss "I Love Being a Professor"
2. Dr. JK Nandakumar "Transitions as Successes: Cross-Discipline and Trans-Continental"
3. Dr. Vern Carruthers "Anatomy of a Faculty Search: Part 1"
4. Dr. Lori Isom "Anatomy of a Faculty Search: Part 2"
5. Dr. Evan Snitkin "Preparing and Delivering an Effective Chalk Talk"
6. Drs. Mary O'Riordan and Kristen Verhey "How Are Chalk Talks Evaluated?"
7. Dr. Paul Jenkins "Getting a Lab Started - What Does it Take?"
8. Dr. Matthias Truttmann "Best Practices in Preparing and Applying for a Tenure Track Position"
9. Dr. Melanie Ohi "Building and Nurturing a Strong Research Team"
10. Dr. Ann Miller "Establishing a Successful Research Group and Classroom Teaching"
11. Dr. Vince Young "Mentoring and Nurturing Trainees for Successful Career Outcomes"
12. Dr. Carrie Ferrario "My Story: Preparing for and Landing a Faculty Position!"
13. Dr. Beth Moore "How Best to Prepare NOW to be a Successful Future Faculty"
14. Dr. Neal Hammer "My Story: Preparing for and Landing a Faculty Position"
15. Dr. Pierre Coulombe "A Department Chair's Vision for Hiring and Growth"
16. Dr. Yatrik Shah "Supporting Grad Student and Postdoc Needs as a Faculty Mentor"
17. Dr. Peter Vollbrecht "Making the Transition from a UMMS Postdoc to Faculty"
18. Dr. Nicole Koropatkin “Mentoring Diverse Trainees as a Faculty”
19. Dr. Idse Heemskerk